Friday, April 18, 2008

Maps #33: Relocating with Online Maps


This is an easy assignment for me because I look for places to move just about everyday, especially in the summer. I like to use http://www.realtor.com/ but have also looked at har, apartments.com, apartment finder, and craigs list. If you are planning to move and have pets, a really useful place to look is the local animal shelter in the area where you want to move. I actually found an apartment in Boulder that would accept my 4 dogs. That's the only complex I have ever found that will accept more than 3 dogs. Most accept no more than two. I found this through the Denver animal shelter http://www.ddfl.org/.

For this assignment I decided to do a search working on the assumption that I would win a million dollars in the Texas lottery next week. I decided to look in one of my favorite places, Sedona, Arizona. I went to realtor.com and typed in Sedona, AZ. 3+ bedrooms and 2+ bathrooms with a maximum price of 600,000. I found several really nice properties including the one pictured which is in Oak Creek Canyon and has magnificent views of the red rocks Sedona is so famous for. I also took the virtual tour provided on the website. Here is a description of the property: "Beautiful home in World Famous Oak Creek Canyon. Stunning Canyon views in all directions, backs to NFS, landscaped to perfection, cobblestone walkways, back deck with spa and covered front porch. Gorgeous Juniper mantle and countertops all custom made by a local craftsman, marble in bathrooms, new carpet and tile throughout. Almost everything is new, top of the line and under warranty. Incredible new lighting features and fixtures. The electrical has been totally redone and has the capacity for everything from a kiln to a welder for the artist, craft-person or handy man. Includes most decorator furnishings and electronics."
After I did that, I clicked on the map provided and found that the property is just outside of Sedona on a small road going to Flagstaff. It is near the Coconino National Forest and the Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Area. I have been in this area and can attest to its beauty. I was also able to look at a satellite map of the area. Sedona is famous for it's vortex sites and attracts spiritual healers, spiritual guides and just about anything "new age" so there are a lot of interesting stores and plenty of restaurants that cater to vegans, raw foodists, and organics only people. There is also a really beautiful library http://www.sedonalibrary.org/index.html
that is staffed by volunteers for when I get bored. The health food store New Frontiers Natural Marketplace is 7.4 miles from this house and there are hundreds of restaurants that sound interesting including Cafe Raw Bliss & Chocolates.

No comments: