I'm received this email from MoveOn today and thought it worth passing on:
Dear MoveOn member,
It might seem hyperbolic to say that Republicans have declared a war on women.
Sadly, it's not.
Just take a look at the top 10 shocking, crazy things Republicans have proposed in recent weeks. If you think this constitutes a war on women, please share this email far and wide—forward it, and post it on Facebook and Twitter.
I wish I could say these were the only examples of the Republican war on women. But it's just a sampling, and more is sure to come—unless we raise a ruckus and call them out. So please, share this email today.
Top 10 Shocking Attacks from the GOP War on Women
1) Republicans not only want to reduce women's access to abortion care, they're actually trying to redefine rape. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven't.
2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to "accuser." But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain "victims."
3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)
4) Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids.
5) In Congress, Republicans have proposed a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids' preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.
7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.
8) Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
9) Congress voted yesterday on a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.
10) And if that wasn't enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can't make this stuff up).
Please share this email today. Just click the links to post on Facebook and Twitter.
1. "'Forcible Rape' Language Remains In Bill To Restrict Abortion Funding," The Huffington Post, February 9, 2011
"Extreme Abortion Coverage Ban Introduced," Center for American Progress, January 20, 2011
2. "Georgia State Lawmaker Seeks To Redefine Rape Victims As 'Accusers,'" The Huffington Post, February 4, 2011
3. "South Dakota bill would legalize killing abortion doctors," Salon, February 15, 2011
4. "House GOP Proposes Cuts to Scores of Sacred Cows," National Journal, February 9, 2011
5. "New GOP Bill Would Allow Hospitals To Let Women Die Instead Of Having An Abortion," Talking Points Memo, February 4, 2011
6. "Republican Officials Cut Head Start Funding, Saying Women Should be Married and Home with Kids," Think Progress, February 16, 2011
7. "Bye Bye, Big Bird. Hello, E. Coli," The New Republic, Feburary 12, 2011
8. "House GOP spending cuts will devastate women, families and economy," The Hill, February 16, 2011
9. "House passes measure stripping Planned Parenthood funding," MSNBC, February 18,2011
"GOP Spending Plan: X-ing Out Title X Family Planning Funds," Wall Street Journal, February 9, 2011
Birth Control for Horses, Not for Women," Blog for Choice, February 17, 2011
Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to Kathleen Knox on February 19, 2011. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here. About Yahoo! Shortcuts
Yahoo! Shortcuts automatically finds and underlines people, places, organizations and other things of interest. Help us improve Yahoo! Shortcuts by sending us your feedback.
Don't like the Shortcuts Pop-ups?
Disabling this link to switch them off. Disabling the preview pop-ups involves the user of "cookies". If you don't know what these are, don't worry, just be aware that you may see the pop-ups return if you work on more than one computer, or change or update your web brower.state legislator
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Monday, February 7, 2011
I read yesterday on the Huffington Post that bush has cancelled a trip to Switzerland after several groups threatened to protest his visit. Several human rights groups were also demanding his arrest because he has admitted to ordering torture. According to Reuters, Dominique Baettig, a right-wing member of the Swiss Parliament was also demanding his arrest. Of course bush denied that the criminal complaints had anything to do with the cancellation. I wish they hadn't warned him but just arrested him as soon as his plane landed. He should have been arrested and tried here but wasn't even though we are one of the 147 countries to have ratified the 1987 treaty banning torture.
Sunday, February 6, 2011
This has got to be the funniest ad for a rescue group I've ever seen.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
I am now the official guardian angel of this precious little puppy who was rescued by Chris of http://lingyang.org/ His name is Little Wolf and Chris found him when he ran into a restaurant where Chris was eating. He was pretty scared from all the noise and celebration of the Chinese New Year but Chris managed to get a leash on him and take him to a vet. He is now hoping to find a foster or a forever home for him.
I did an earlier post about this organization here:
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Yesterday morning when I got up it was 70. Today it was in the low 20's. The good thing is we may get some snow later in the week. Another good thing is living in an apartment that doesn't get below 60 even when it gets this cold. My old pier and beam house was always cold. I seldom used the heater and one morning I woke up and the house was 40 degrees and the pipes in the attic frozen. Thankfully they didn't burst.
I tried unsuccessfully to trap the little gray kitten again last night. She will go in the trap but won't step on the plate that closes the door. I'll keep trying.
Happy Groundhog's Day!
Punxsutawney Phil predicts an early Spring!