Saturday, April 19, 2008

Maps #32: Current Events

This couple is going to an animal rights event in San Francisco, protesting the use of animals in labs. They found out about this protest by searching the Global Incident Map website discussed in activity #2 below.


Activity#1
I looked at "100 Things To Do With Google Maps" and discovered a lot of things that could be fun to do if I had more time. For my hypothetical activity I choose #57 "Check what on the other side of the world" or "If the earth were a sandwich" and found that if I dug a hole from Houston all the way through the earth I would end up in the middle of the Indian Ocean, halfway between Madagascar and Australia. If I were living in Hawaii and did the same thing I would end up in Northern Botswana, a place I want to visit.

Activity#2
For this activity I choose the Global Incident Map, http://globalincidentmap.com/home.php
a world map with flashing icons. It you click on the icon it tells you about suspicious packages, terrorist activities, assassinations, bombs and any other dangerous activities going on in the world. It updates every 310 seconds. In Florida, for instance, radiation equipment was lost and a suspicious package was found at a courthouse. The Hasting Area of New Zealand was evacuated because of a bomb scare. There are multiple flashing icons in the Middle East, not a big surprise. You can also search by type of incident, time, and location. From this I found that there are no ecoterrorism activities planned but 50 animal right terrorist activities planned for next week to protest the use of animals in labs, an issue I care about.
This is something I will bookmark and look at regularly.

Optional activity:
I looked at EarthNow Landsat Image Viewer http://earthnow.usgs.gov/earthnow_app.html?sessionId=2a099de8c3e3549b13f76cce85ab8a23130903
It's a little like looking out of the window when you are flying. I followed it all the way from Canada to Florida (very blue and white to green)
From the FAQ: What is Landsat? Landsat is the name of a series of satellites that have been used by governments, scientists and educators to monitor changes of the Earth's land surface. Landsat satellites provide a means for measuring the change in the amount of healthy vegetation, extent of damage and rate of regeneration following a forest fire, and various other applications of interest to professionals in the defense and agriculture industries. Since the launch of Landsat 1 in 1972, these satellites have continuously monitored the Earth. The USGS currently operates Landsat 5 and Landsat 7. These satellites contribute over 400 images per day to the EROS data archive.

No comments: