Thursday, November 15, 2007

Not ready to make nice

After winning the the championship at an international bridge competition in Shanghai last month, the United States women's bridge team held up a sign, written on the back of a menu, saying "We did not vote for Bush." Like the Dixie Chicks they have been accused of treason and have received death threats. They are also facing a 1 year suspension and 200 hours of bridge related community service (whatever that is)
This has caused international debate, with the French team sending an email in support of the women saying "you were doing only what women of the world have always tried to do when opposing the folly of men who have lost their perspective of reality."
If you would like to support these women you can email Jan Martel, president of the US Bridge Federation, at janmartel@comcast.net

8 comments:

upelluri52 said...

Damn, I would've thought with the downfall of Dubya's popularity, no one would bother making a death threat to defend him or the false patriotism he represents.

Like Barnum allegedly said, there really is a sucker born every minute.

Freedom said...

I really enjoy reading your blog.

Fourdogmom said...

Thanks Freedom. There is so much to write about these days.

Freedom said...

Please keep me in your thoughts today....I live just a hour away from st Paul and I'm going to a anti-war protest today.

Fourdogmom said...

I will. Thank you for protesting.
A McCain/Palin victory may just make Bush/Cheney look good.

Freedom said...

I just read your profile. I lived in Houston years ago. I'm from a reservation in northern Wisconsin, but lived in Tx. for 20 years, most being in Odessa.
Thank you, for your support.

Fourdogmom said...

When I was a child living in Houston my dad almost got transferred to Midland/Odessa. At the last minute it was changed to New Orleans. I have always been grateful for that. It would have to be hard to become a liberal person in that environment, I think.
So, are you and American Indian? We have a little Cherokee in my family which I have always been proud of.

Fourdogmom said...

Freedom,
You can email me at kwlknox@yahoo.com if you want.