In the last 4 presidential elections, readers of Family Circle Magazine have successfully predicted who the winner will be based on the winning recipe submitted by the spouses of the candidates. This year Cindy McCain has submitted a recipe for Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies and Michell Obama has submitted a recipe for Shortbread cookies. Because I'm an Obama supporter I'll include her recipe here. If you want to see McCain's you can go to the Family Circle Magazine website http://www.familycircle.com/
You can also register and vote on your favorite and look at recipes from past campaigns
Michelle Obama's Shortbread Cookies
1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons Amaretto (almond liqueur)
1 teaspoon each orange and lemon zest
3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg white
Chopped nuts or dried fruit (optional)
1. Heat oven to 325 degree F. Line a 17 x 12 x 1-inch baking pan with nonstick foil. In large bowl, cream together butter and 1-1/2 cups of the sugar.
2. Slowly add egg yolks, and beat well until smooth. Beat in Amaretto and zest.
3. Stir in flour and salt until combined.
4. Spread dough evenly into prepared pan, flattening as smoothly as possible.
5. Brush top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with nuts or fruit (if using) and with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
6. Bake at 325 degree F for 25 minutes or until brown, turn off oven and allow cookies to sit in oven (with door ajar) for 15 minutes. Cut while slightly warm.