Saturday, August 20, 2011

Our Summer "Orphan"



My sister and I used to joke about the summer our grandmother got an orphan for us. I'm sure it wasn't a joke to little girl who stayed with us for a week or so one summer while we were visiting our grandparents in Bryan. Her name was Pamela and she came from the Texas Baptist Children's Home in Round Rock, Texas and she wasn't really an orphan. Her family was probably in crisis and left the children at TBCH while they tried to resolve what ever issues they were having. I'm not sure why, but the TBCH must have farmed out some of the children to families thinking it would be nice for the children to have a vacation. I doubt if they could get away with something like that now without a home study but back then it was enough if you attended a Baptist church. Judging from the picture, Pamela was around my age and I remember having a good time playing with her.The main thing I remember though was when her parents came by to pick her up. She was so happy to see them that she started crying. Really, really crying. I didn't understand this at the time but looking back it's easy to imagine how frightened she must have been, first to be dropped off at an orphanage and then to be separated from her siblings when she was shipped off to a strange home for a few weeks. I think about her from time to time and wonder what happened to her and to her family. I'm so glad I found this picture of the 3 of us.

No comments: