Saturday, August 6, 2011

Scoby

Arthur L. Huebner was born on December 1, 1890 and married my grandmother Sarah Effie on December 31, 1922. His nickname was Dutch but I always called him Scoby. I have no idea where that name came from but that has always been his name to me. If you were an Aggie in the 1950's or 60's, possibly earlier than that, you probably had your hair cut by Scoby. He worked as a barber right across the street from A & M. I remember going there a few times and seeing all the Aggies with their very short haircuts, a requirement at the time I believe.
Scoby was a wonderful man from a very colorful Shiner, Texas family and a really terrific grandfather. He was also a good stepfather to my father and probably provided some much needed stability for him at the time.

These two pictures below were taken during the Bryan, Texas Centennial Celebration in the 1960's. The men were required to grow beards and the men and women were required to wear period costumes when they went downtown. I loved Scoby's beard and asked him to save the whiskers for me when he shaved them. I kept them for many years in an envelope in my jewelry chest.
Ninie and Scoby.


Here he is in front of his barber shop.


Scoby with my father.

No comments: