Friday, January 25, 2008

African Penguins


I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do when my 4 dogs are gone and I can sell my house, and have been looking into volunteering in Africa. I've been to Kenya and Tanzania and want to see more of the continent. Earlier this week I found an organization http://www.enkosiniecoexperience.com/ that has several opportunities for working with wildlife including working at the Penguin Conservation Centre in Cape Town. The center rescues African Penguins (aka Jackass Penguins) and other birds that have been injured or have become victims of oil spills. Volunteers work for a minimum of 6 weeks and learn how to handle, wash, and hand-raise all types of birds. I love penguins and have been in the water with them in the Galapagos and sat on the beach with them in Antarctica so this seems like the perfect opportunity for me.

I also want to to tour South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia and could do this before or after the volunteer experience. I want to see the painted houses of the Ndebele of South Africa and the Okavango Delta in Botswana. Both of these deserve a separate post.

No comments: