Thursday, September 20, 2007

Kiva

I discovered the website Kiva.org while reading a book just published by Bill Clinton. Here is a description of the program, known as microcredit, from their website: "Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" and help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates from the business you've sponsored. As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back." This idea comes from Bangladeshi banker and economist Muhammad Yunus who founded the Grameen Bank which loans small amounts of money to enterpreneurs too poor to qualify for traditional bank loans. He won the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in 2006.
I like this program because you can give a small amount of money, as little as $25.00, and you can choose the receipient.
Please check out their website at http://www.kiva.org/
For more ideas on giving I highly recommend the new book by Bill Clinton: Giving: how each of us can change the world.
HCPL has many copies of the book and the audiobook.

5 comments:

LibraryLioness8 said...

Thanks for the information about Kiva. Sounds like a great organization. :)

Fourdogmom said...

Thanks for reading a blog that doesn't have a cute picture attached.

michilines said...

(Last comment for tonight, promise.)

I have Kiva linked on my blog and have heard and read many good things about it. One of my students researched it and it is worth it. Lazy as I am, I've signed up but haven't put up my money. Thanks for reminding me of a simple task I should have started a couple of months ago.

(finally) I'm off to put my investment in.

Great work, Kathy.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

If this was the idea of a Bangladesh Indian why has it got an "Indian Indian" name?

Fourdogmom said...

A Bangladeshi first had the idea but Kiva.org was co-founded by Matt Flannery, a programmer at TiVo. Why the name Kiva? I don't know. Any thoughts?