Thursday, September 27, 2007

Antarctica





























In 1998 I fulfilled a lifelong dream and went to Antarctica for 3 weeks. I flew from Houston to Miami to Santiago, Chile to Ushuaia, Argentina, the southernmost city in the world. From Ushuaia I boarded a small Russian research vessel that had been converted to a tourist ship. There were about 40 passengers aboard including the Pulitzer Prize winning author Annie Dillard who wrote about our trip in a journal. Our guide was Jonathan Chester who has written many books including A for Antarctica, Splash! : a penguin counting book, and The Nature of Penguins. HCPL has these books and more by both Dillard and Chester. In addition to Antarctica we also went to South Georgia which is part of the Falkland Islands and where the explorer Shackleton is buried and Cape Horn. Here are some pictures of my adventure. If you click on individual pictures they will enlarge and you can see how beautiful it is there. If anyone at HCPL wants to see all of my pictures let me know and I will bring my album in.

11 comments:

Megan said...

That must have been a thrilling experience!

Fourdogmom said...

Thanks Megan it was. I noticed you have done an RSS feed on your blog. I'm impressed. I guess I'll try to conquer that next week.
Kathy

brown sugar said...

well written. the pictures r gorgeous!

Sports Mom said...

Great pictures! I want to go on a cruise to Alaska.

istarfan said...

Please bring your album. which season did you go there? The anamals there must don't afraid of people.

Fourdogmom said...

Dear Istarfan,
I went there in January which is summer in the southern hemisphere. The animals have no fear of people and will walk right up to you. The penguins are very friendly. The same is true of the Galapagos where the animals and birds are very friendly. I'll put some of those pictures in a blog too.

LibraryLioness8 said...

Beautiful pics and I know it must've been a great experience. I'd love to go there someday.

istarfan said...

Thanks.

Can people touch these adorable creatures?

Have a nice weekend!

Fourdogmom said...

Dear Istarfan,
They ask you not to touch any of the animals so we didn't but the animals did touch us because they didn't have the same rules :)

Anonymous said...

So wonderful of you to share such amazing pictures with the rest of us. You must be quite an asset to your employer!

Fourdogmom said...

Dear Anon.
I'm not sure if my employer would agree with you but thanks anyway.