Monday, August 4, 2014

Vegan Chocolate Chipotle Cake

Cameron and I love the vegan chocolate chipotle cake at Radical Eats so I decided to try to make one at home.  I found a recipe online and changed it up a bit and it turned out great.
Here is the recipe:
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa (unsweetened)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. chipotle (this was a little too much)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp white vinegar
5 tbsp vegetable oil (I used almond because that's what I had)
1 cup cold water

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9 inch cake pan.
In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Add the vanilla, vinegar, oil and water and stir until just combined.
Pour into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.


Just coming out of the oven.

Waiting to cool.

It was almost as good as the cake from Radical eats. Theirs may be a little better because of the icing. This one was definitely more spicy. Probably too spicy for most people. If I make this again I will use 1/2 tsp. of chipotle.

No comments: