Wednesday, September 29, 2010


I have always enjoyed washing dishes. I especially enjoy doing them by hand even though I usually use the dishwasher. Even though I use the dishwasher I wash every dish by hand because that's the way we did it when I was growing up. Dishwashers were new then and didn't clean the way they do now. I also love the smell of the soap I use Lemongrass & Clementine Zest by Seventh Generation. I would wear it as a perfume if they made it.
Years ago when I was attending a Unitarian Church, the minister read something by Thich Nhat Hanh about doing dishes that I could really relate to:
To my mind, the idea that doing dishes is unpleasant can occur only
when you aren't doing them. Once you are standing in front of the sink
with your sleeves rolled up and your hands in the warm water, it is really
quite pleasant. I enjoy taking my time with each dish, being fully aware
of the dish, the water, and each movement of my hands. I know that
if I hurry in order to eat dessert sooner, the time of washing dishes
will be unpleasant and not worth living. That would be a pity,
for each minute, each second of life is a miracle. The dishes themselves
and that fact that I am here washing them are miracles!

No comments: