Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Orange and Mushroom Noodles with Kale

I made this Saturday night.  Cameron and I both enjoyed it.  I had never heard of Shiritake noodles before this but found them at Whole foods and will definitely use them again. My Chinese friend found the vegetarian oyster sauce for me at a Chinese grocery store. Of course you can always use regular oyster sauce if you aren't vegetarian. The bitterness of the kale was a nice compliment to the sweetness of the sauce. This was an easy and delicious dish.



Ingredients:

1 bunch lacinato kale
2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic sliced
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, plus the zest of one orange
1/4 cup vegetarian oyster sauce (aka mushroom sauce)
1 8 oz package Tofu Shirataki noodles

Directions:

Add a couple of teaspoons of neutral oil (I used sesame) to a large saute pan.  Add mushrooms and onions.  Saute until softened.  Remove the stems from the kale and tear into bite size pieces.  Add the kale and garlic to the onions and mushrooms and cook until the kale has wilted. (about 10 minutes)

In another small pan combine the orange juice, zest, and oyster sauce and bring to a slow simmer.  Allow to simmer and reduce slightly while the vegetables cook.

Rinse the noodles and boil for about 3 minutes in another pot.

Drain the noodles and combine with the vegetable and sauce.
Pictures by Cameron

I've made this dish several times and have started adding 2 packages of noodles. I also use a cheaper more common mushroom and I can't really tell the difference.

No comments: